Sunday, October 16, 2011

Progress

Hello again to those who read my blog (and wake up to those of you who don't!!).

Things have been kind of hectic lately...a lot of planning, a lot of homework, and project assignments have pretty much been described so we can start working on them. Am I excited? Not really. Will it get done? Of course! :)

Now, I'll give a sort of recap as to what I've been up to the past week. I've taken  all my midterms (all 2 of them!), so that's good news. Still waiting to get the final grade for my Networks midterm but I made a 92 of my software engineering midterm so that's pretty awesome :D. Besides midterms, I've also been busy getting started on semester projects for 2 of my classes and continuing the paper for my SE class. I got to a point last week where I really thought I was going to be spending my weekend working on my research...and then the assignments came. Fortunately, I got to get a good bit done for my research before my professors dished out all these assignments.

Speaking of research, things are still rolling with that as well. Yoonki just turned in our IRB application in order for us to get permission to conduct the study. Fingers crossed everything comes back ok! Also, Yoonki and I were able to conduct a couple more practice interviews this week. Unfortunately, one had to be cut fairly short but we still were able to obtain some valuable insights from both our interviewees. Now all I have to do is go back through the interviews, organize my analysis, and incorporate it into our paper (which is of course the 'fun' part!). If it wasn't for the fact that I am so stuck on what I want to do, I would not be getting my Ph.D. that's for sure--there's so much writing and for anyone who knows me, you know I am not the writing type. Papers and such are not (excuse me....were not) my thing..but being that I've chosen this path, I have to do what I have to do. Fortunately I have an awesome advisor who's been helping me along the way with everything. Things are moving smoothly, but I really can't wait for our first REAL interview.

On another bright note, Grace Hopper is right around the corner! :D I just downloaded the mobile app and also got my travel authorization for the interviews I'll be conducting at Google. I get to spend a week in Portland doing the things I know/love best; networking and research. I am super SUPER excited...also a bit nervous. Hopefully as the time to go draws nearer I'll have a chance to work on that part :).

Also, on a personal note, the state fair is here and my family is coming down this coming weekend to visit/attend the state fair. I am TOO excited about this. I am prepared my apartment (as well as my wallet) for the fair, food, fun and family. It's been a while since my family and I have gotten to do something together so this should be lots of fun. And I've never been to the NC State fair before so that makes it even more exciting! :D Hopefully I'll be able to get enough work done this week to be able to have some free time to chill with my family this weekend.

That's all I can think to report right now. I've been trying to get ahead all weekend so my brain is a little fried at the moment..if I forgot anything I'll just report it later.
Until next time... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment