Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Hello! I'm Brittany and I work at Microsoft :)

So things have been crazy hectic the past month or so, but I had to take some time to update my blog with some of the awesomeness/craziness that is my life right now (as a PhD student).

First, I'm in Seattle...well, Redmond to be exact. I've been here before, but not as a Microsoft Research (MSR) intern :). That's right...dreams do come true. This summer I will be working with one of the top names in empirical software engineering right now, Tom Zimmerman (Google him, he's pretty fantastic). I would like to note I probably would not be in this position right now if it weren't for my bomb ass advisor, Dr. E. Thanks to his connections, dedication to his students, and what I assume to also be belief in me, I was able to get my name, face, and research abilities out there on a more personal level. Note: Always take advantage of opportunities to travel and meet new people - you never know who you might meet!

Second, although I am starting my internship, the work of a PhD student is never done! A bit of sad news, I just got back 2 paper rejections...now, this wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that these two papers have been getting rejected for the past two years...no bueno. It's a bit discouraging, but this is why I love my advisors. Rather than giving me time to wallow in my sorrow, Dr. E says "let's do a NIER paper." Immediately my mind shifts from "oh woe is me" to "okay, what do I need to do to get this done"...one of the beauties I imagine of going through the PhD. Eventually you learn to just move on...time is too precious to waste.

Third, I FINALLY convinced my mom to get on a plane, so my parents, my sister and her boyfriend will be visiting me this summer in July. I am super excited! They've never been and I can't wait to show them around and let them try all the amazing food around here :D. They're only staying for a little less than a week but I think it will be a good refresher to get me through the rest of my internship.

I don't know exactly what I will be working on this summer, but I know it will involve a survey because I've never done one and desire oh so much to learn (with Tom Zimmerman :D). I have a couple of ideas floating around, as does Tom, so hopefully by the end of the day today I will know what I will be working on. Wish me luck!

Until next time...



1 comment:

  1. That's so good. Tom Zimmermann is a a big name is Software Engineering research. Congrats!

    Sorry for your papers. That happens.

    ReplyDelete