Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My First Paper (possible publication)

It's getting to be that time of the year...midterms. Professors are throwing out assignments/projects left and right and preparing to administer midterm exams. What makes it so great for me is that right when my partner and I are working on a paper (and a possible first publication for myself), that is when all of this wants to happen. This is the one part of being a first year RA that I am not lovin too much -- having to balance school work with research. Obviously I need to be concerned about my school work because grades are what's going to keep me at NC State and keep my funding. The problem is, all I really want to do is work on my research. In my graduate orientation class Friday they spoke with us about how important it is to have publications (especially publications that have been accepted to a big conference), so I got excited about the fact that I already started mine...problem is I'm not getting as much done as soon as I wanted because I'm also having to make sure I keep up in school. *For the record, this is not me complaining...just venting :) *

Don't get me wrong, I love learning..it's just the testing part I hate. The only reason I think I don't want to spend the rest of my life in school is because of the tests. I love to learn (which is another reason I suppose research is just for me). Hopefully next semester I will be able to find a way to devote more time to my research while still getting the credits I need to meet my requirements..maybe an independent study or something.

Either way, I hope this week goes smoothly and I get all the stuff done I want to get done (without too many bumps or curves). It feels like the week just started and it's already about to be Wednesday, so hopefully that's a good sign.


Now, I suppose, I must get back to my writing so I can get to a stopping point and get a decent's night sleep. 
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment